Chickpeas in a Turmeric and Coconut Milk Sauce
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 TBSP olive or coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
2 TBSP tomato paste
2 cans chickpeas (15.5 oz each, or about 4 cups), rinsed and drained
1 can low-fat coconut milk
Garnish with chopped cilantro
Pepper to taste
1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2) Add the chopped onion and stir to coat with the oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the onion begins to turn a golden brown.
3) Add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir until onions are completely coated with spices and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste.
4) Add the chickpeas and pour in the coconut milk. Stir to combine, reduce heat to medium, and let simmer for about 10 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
5) Serve with a side of brown rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Note: Turmeric stains! It can stain plastics, laminate counter tops, and clothes. So keep that in mind as you prepare this dish.