Recently, I needed to start a new commute to my campus. Commuting, obviously, is awful. There is nothing worse than realizing after a long day of classes/work that a hectic drive home stands between you and your dinner. As is life. But to make matters worse I have to pass a Krispy Kreme Donut shop twice a day. It’s not like I simply speed by it either. I am constantly stuck at a light with a Krispy Kreme Donut sign seemingly directly in front of me. I’m a big believer in that when a craving hits it must be obeyed but this doesn’t mean that I can afford to stop for a dozen of donuts every day. So here is my healthy alternative. Trust me they are delicious!
Yield: 6 Donuts
¼ cup chia seeds
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup honey
1 cup almond milk
½ tsp vanilla
Peanut Butter Glaze:
2 TBSP vanilla Greek yogurt
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP creamy peanut butter
1-2 tsp milk or nonfat milk
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. In a large bowl, add chia seeds, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a separate mixing bowl combine the milk, honey, and vanilla extract.
4. Slowly mix together the liquid mixture with the dry ingredients and evenly combined.
5. Spoon batter into a greased doughnut pan. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Let sit in the pan for about 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack.
7. To prepare the glaze, stir together the yogurt, honey, and peanut butter.
8. Slowly add the milk ½ teaspoon at a time, stopping once the desired consistency is achieved.
9. Spoon the glaze on top of the warm donuts and return to the wire rack to let the glaze set.