These low-fat brownies replace butter and other fats with unsweetened applesauce. The result is a brownie that is seriously cakey and chocolate-y with less saturated fat.
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup brown sugar
2 TBSP chocolate cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the applesauce and vanilla extract.
3. Beat eggs in a small bowl and combine with the applesauce and vanilla extract.
4. In a large bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips.
5. Stir in liquid ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Pour batter into a greased 9×9 baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are set and a toothpick removes cleanly.
7. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting. Best served warm!