Yield: 16 potato bites
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 ½ hours
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
2 strips of turkey bacon
1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1) Place an oven rack in the top row of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
2) Begin by using a fork to poke holes in the sweet potatoes and place them on a baking sheet. Bake until tender; about 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool before handling. (Note: The sweet potatoes can be baked the night before in order to save time. They can also be prepared in a microwave (8 to 10 minutes on high for each)).
3) Split each sweet potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh leaving about ¼ of an inch around the skins.
4) Increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Arrange the potato skins with the hollow sides facing down on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until skins are brown and crispy.
5) In the meantime, cook turkey bacon according to directions on the package. Cool and cut into small pieces of bacon bits.
6) Remove sweet potato skins from oven. Let cool and then turn the skins over so that the hollow sides are face up. Sprinkle potato skins with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, scallions, and bacon pieces.
7) Bake at 400°F until the cheese melts, about 5 to 8 minutes.
8) Cut the potato skins into bites. Serve and enjoy.