Cook Time: 12 minutes
Cool Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 – 7
1 (13.25-ounce) box whole wheat elbow macaroni, dry
3 purple potatoes, cleaned well and cubed
1/3 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
- Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Place the cubed purple potatoes in a microwave safe container and cover. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until potatoes are tender but still hold their shape. Time will vary depending on the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the dressing. In a large bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, relish, mustard, pepper, and salt.
- Drain the cooked noodles and run them under cold water in order to cool them. Once cool, add the pasta and potatoes to the bowl of dressing and stir.
- Stir in the celery, onion, and peppers.
- Chill before serving. Best if served fresh or within 2-3 days.
*The pigment that gives these potatoes their distinct color in called anthocyanin which is a water-soluble pigment as well as a potent antioxidant. Because this pigment is water-soluble it is important cook them in the microwave rather than in a pot of boiling water in order to preserve the color and the antioxidants.